Newsletter Issue No. 1 May 2015
“If we had not winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome”
Spring has sprung and winter is finally over. Before you break out the patio furniture and start planting your gardens, you might want to follow these few tips to get your home ready for a headache-free season.
- Whether you did this in the fall after all the leaves fell or not, there’s a good chance your gutters and downspouts need some care after the buildup of ice and snow. Get out the ladder and check for any clogs and make sure water is making its way out of the downspouts.
- Replace roof shingles. It’s no fun waking up to water dripping from your roof, and the significant cost of repairs can cause major headaches. Check for roof damage, including missing shingles, leaks, and general aging, as soon as possible after the snow melts. Shingles that are cracked or loose need to be replaced.
- Cracks that may have occurred in your foundation, walkways, and patio during the winter months are a welcome sign for water to get in your house and cause damage. Fill these as soon as you can.
- You know the old saying, “out of sight, out of mind”? The filters may be hidden from view but they should be on your mind. Having your air conditioning unit inspected by a certified professional before turning it on for the season is not only a good safety measure, but could also help prolong the life of the unit.
- Inspect pipes for leaks. Water damage can mean big insurance claims, so check for leaks in pipes and faucets as well as in hoses leading to dishwashers, washing machines, and refrigerators.
- Replace smoke detector batteries. If you didn’t already handle this task when the time changed, while you’re prepping your home for spring, make sure all smoke detectors have fresh batteries and are working properly.
It’s impossible to prevent every problem that can arise, however with regular maintenance and a little elbow grease, you can ensure your home is a safe and comfortable place to enjoy the warm weather months ahead. Whether you’re looking for an interior remodeling, an addition or renovation, we can help you get it done! Visit our website or just call and you will hear us knocking on your door.